When buying a home in Auburn or Alabama, there are countless questions that you have to ask to ensure that the house you are buying is going to be a place where your family feels at home.
It is difficult for you and your family to feel at home without the assurance that termites aren’t crawling around the interior of your home, destroying the house’s integrity. Before purchasing your home, you need to make sure that it is protected against termites.
Get a Termite Bond
One of the most crucial, though not often thought of, questions to ask when buying a home is, “Does this home have a termite bond?”
Termite bonds ensure home buyers that termite control measures have been put in place in the past and that they will be implemented in the future.
Read our full article on termite bonds to learn more about them.
Check for Visible Termite Damage
If during your visits to the home that you are considering purchasing you can see termite damage, that means that there is likely much more damage below the surface.
When considering a home to purchase look for these signs of termite damage:
- Crumbling paint that looks like water damage
- Small holes in the home’s drywall
- Wood that sounds hollow when you knock on it
- Termite feces
- This is often found in piles that looks like mounds of salt or pepper
- Termite wings
- Mud tubes on the foundation of your home
Consider Other Factors That Could Cause an Infestation
Oftentimes it is difficult to see evidence of termite damage in only one or two home visits. So, considering the circumstances that can cause a termite infestation is important.
Here’s what to look for:
- Stacks of firewood, lumber, brush, cardboard, or paper around the home’s foundation.
- Cellulose is the primary food source for termites and stacks of wood provide both a great source of cellulose and a shelter for termites.
- Overgrown shrubbery
- Water leaks in the home and standing water surrounding the home
- Cracks in the foundation, walls, crown molding, floors, etc.
- Little or no history of termite prevention
S&S Termite and Pest Control–Termite Control for Auburn/Opelika Real Estate
At S&S Termite and Pest, we are happy to partner with local real estate companies like, Crawford Willis Group to ensure that you can easily mark one more question off of your home buying checklist.
We want Auburn and Opelika, AL home buyers to know that when they buy a home treated by S&S Termite and Pest Control, they are buying a home that is protected from termites.
If you need termite treatment for your new or prospective home, call S&S Termite and Pest Control today!